Thursday, March 27, 2014

Lent to Me

For years and years, I joined the Lent bandwagon. Confession, I was born and raised Southern Baptist, so Lent isn't even really observed for us. It's not a requirement, and what's more, most people don't even understand what it's all about. 

In college, I went with the crowd and "gave up" something every year for 40 days. Selfishly, this was just a game for me because everyone else was doing it. I gave up alcohol (yeah right, like that was going to last), chocolate, bread, blah, blah, blah, and it was always hard, so I always gave up. I wasn't taking it seriously because I just didn't know what Lent was all about.

Thank goodness for my amazingly sweet, inspiring, and God-fearing friend, Madison from The Sweet Mash. Madison is one of the most amazing people you will EVER meet and if you are lucky enough to meet her, you'll be lucky to say she's in your corner for life. She and I have become much closer friends the past year and a half, and she mentioned that she was giving up sweets and desserts for Lent. If you knew Madison, you'd know this is a serious matter. She is the queen of baking things and limiting herself to one serving at a time.

...my nemesis, a Reese's milkshake from Cookout..

Lent, for those of you who don't know, is 40 days of abstaining from a physical or material pleasure, symbolic of Jesus' 40-day fast in the wilderness. It is meant to teach the devout how to resist pleasure and temptation, giving us pure hearts and minds to find shelter in the Word and in God, preparing us to be led to Him. To read more about the true customs that are in the Bible, go here.

I decided to join Madison on her journey and make it mine, too. I have recently realized that I need to return to my roots in the church and try to bring myself closer to God again and I really think this is helping. Sadly, I only made it 48 hours before giving in. I felt SO horrible, but not just because I "messed up," but because I promised God I would do something, and I failed. Quickly.

Since then, I have had many temptations, true temptations, but have been able to resist. I know it seems weird to pray about sweets and desserts, but I'm not praying, "Lord, please give me a brownie." I'm saying, "Lord, please teach me the true virtue of patience, and being thankful for all the blessings I do have in my life and that I'm able to afford dinner today."

I know different holidays and observances mean different things to different people, but the sweets to me are just symbolic of all the things I need to rid myself of to learn new lessons from God.


...a cake I baked last night for a sweet friend. didn't have a bite...

Do y'all participate in Lent? Did you know what the true meaning is? If you're observing this period of 40 days, let me know!

xoxo!

2 comments:

  1. Oh Lent. It gets me every year. I was raised Catholic, so Lent was our specialty. I am currently Presbyterian, but I still observe Lent, mostly out of habit. This year has been extra hard for me. I am trying so hard to think of Lent as a time for prayers and patience instead of as 40 days that I can't eat ice cream or yell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Meg! Since this is the first year I'm serious about the observance and making it more about my relationship with God instead of food or just following the crowd, it's been hard for me, too. Good luck with your ice cream and keeping the tember under control! We're in it together!

      Delete